Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:32:06 +0100
From:      Volker Stolz <stolz@hyperion.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   getty/serial question

I attached the serial console of an alpha to the serial port
of another FreeBSD machine (i386). For talking to the Alpha,
I use minicom from the ports (it's deprecated, though).
Now I'm seeing the following problem:
After leaving minicom, somehow the serial port on the i386 is
locked up (accessing /dev/cuaa0 gives EBUSY). Meanwhile, the Alpha's
getty is spinning at about 20% CPU time.

I fear that I might see the same thing that happened a couple of
days ago: After almost 2 days of uptime, the Alpha's getty failed
with the following message:

Jan 23 15:19:19 varphi getty[4569]: getty exiting due to excessive running time

in 3 minute intervals (presumably started/killed by init?), rendering the
machine dead on the floor: No network access and no serial io until pressing
the HALT switch which would drop to SRM.

This raises some questions:
Is this the fault of minicom on the other host, tying up the serial console?
If yes, which application do you use for accessing the serial console from
FreeBSD instead of minicom?
--
Wonderful \hbox (0.80312pt too nice) in paragraph at lines 16--18
Volker Stolz * stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de