Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:01:16 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Q Yai QQ <riki@maiser.unila.ac.id>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ntpd patch

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 07:46:26PM +0700, Q Yai QQ wrote:
> hi guys,..
>
> usually,.i use user toor as my back up root,..
>
> but,.. i forgot,..
> how the trouble shooter if i forgot root's passwd
>
> i try to boot -s my computer,...
>

> then,.. when i type #passwd root
> or #vipw
> or #vi master.passwd
>
> the commands are not found....
>
> can u help me guys,..
> to explain step by steps,..??
>
> thank's a lot,..

The commands are not found for one of two possible reasons - you have
not mounted the /usr filesystem, or /usr/bin is not in your path.
You can work around those by executing the following commands after
the boot -s

  mount /usr
  mount -u -o rw /
  PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:$PATH
  export PATH
  EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi
  <do your changes here - run vipw, or passwd, or whatever>
  reboot

That should be enough.

G'luck,
Peter

--
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.