Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 00:01:26 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        R Ricci <R.Ricci@m.cc.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems setting up ijppp

> I've followed the handbook instructions precisely in setting up user-mode
> ppp. However, I'm having trouble connecting to the two ISPs I use. Using
> Windows 95, I can connect just fine to both using the same machine.
>
> Here's my /etc/ppp.conf file:

> default:
>   set device /dev/cuaa1
>   set speed 57600
>   disable lqr
>   deny lqr
>   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 20 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK
> \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>
> theonlynet:
>   set phone 93557788
>   accept pap
>   enable pap
>   set authname REMOVED
>   set authkey REMOVED
[.....]

Hmm, so you're expecting the peer to authenticate themselves to you
too ?  I suspect this is the problem in both cases.  Remove the
"enable pap" unless you want to set your peer up with an entry in
ppp.secrets and tell them what their login/passwd are :-)
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;