Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:54:59 -0400
From:      "David Hoffman" <zionicman@gmail.com>
To:        "Ingrid Kast Fuller" <ingrid@cityscope.net>
Cc:        thisdayislong <thisdayislong@gmail.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-user-groups@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Hou-freebsd] Serious breach of copyright -- First post

On 6/18/06, Ingrid Kast Fuller <ingrid@cityscope.net> wrote:

>  If someone added it to the freebsd-config mailing list, they should not
> have mailed a copyritten piece on a mailing list for public use.
> This has been added to the bottom of the page since we are unsure of the
> originator:

Things can be distributed on public mailing lists while still retaining
their copyright.  soup@arbornet.org did nothing to void his exclusive rights
to the work in question.

*We have been given the email address of: soup@arbornet.org as the original
> copyright person. Unfortunately, we have no way of confirming this as yet.
> We are trying to locate WHO originally wrote this. We took this off the
> freebsd-config mailing list which is a public mailing list.*

You've been provided both with an archive of initial publication including
soup@arbornet.org's address as the author, as well as a URL to a DMCA
takedown notice hosted in his webspace.  This is sufficient.

*It seems this David Hoffman is directly attacking our group. Because there
> are no references to HOUFUG being a part of an organized group to adopt
> English as the official language.   HOUFUG does not have any political ties
> with anyone. We only have a FreeBSD mailing list to discuss FreeBSD issues.
> *

I'm not directly attacking your group.  If you're not political, and I'm
arguing against something political, how could I possibly be 'attacking'
your group?

"On a related note, the FUG seems to be part of an organized group to
> convince all States to adopt English as an official language, a bigoted and
> misguided policy."
>
> I personally have a link to the US English organization on my PERSONAL
> home page of www.ingridfuller.com.   This has nothing to do with HOUFUG or
> FreeBSD at all.  What I believe in is my business and my right as a citizen
> of the United States.  This is NOT a misguided or bigoted policy.  We've
> been speaking English since Day 1 and the International Language is
> "ENGLISH".

You certainly have a right to be misguided and bigoted.  Americans have
spoken English since 'Day 1', but they've also spoken several other
languages since that time, and today speak even more.  The lingua franca of
the world today may be English, but it doesn't follow from that that it
should be the official language of all states.

*Ingrid Kast Fuller