Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 10:24:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jonathan Hanna <pangolin@home.com>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: problems with vat under newpcm

On 01-Dec-99 Pierre Beyssac wrote:
> Hmm, I have been able to gather some more details on the problem
> with vat+newpcm I mentioned yesterday on -current.
>
> If I compile vat to open /tmp/audio (and remove all sound ioctl
> and non-blocking stuff) instead of having it open /dev/audio, then
> run a "cat /tmp/audio > /dev/audio", the sound comes ok.
>
> On the other hand, if I replace the code in vat with a popen("cat
>> /dev/audio") and a call fileno() to get the fd, vat still doesn't
> work (only very random fractions of sound).
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong? As I said earlier, amp and mpg123 work
> fine...
> --
> Pierre Beyssac                pb@enst.fr

Similar behavior here with:

pcm0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13> at irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10 on isa0
(SoundBlaster AWE32 of some sort)

When doing cat "file > /dev/audio" the DMA size is set up once and not much
has to happen on the DMA end interrupt. In other cases, the DMA size needs to
be reset in the handler. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it.

Jonathan Hanna <pangolin@home.com>