Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:32:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fstab weirdness / UPDATING

OK; I finally got a few consecutive minutes to look over fsck as of
today's -CURRENT.

In replying to different message, I had earlier reported what some others
noted a couple of days ago:  that not all of the filesystems are checked
at boot (only 2 are), and experimentation demonstrated that in "preen"
mode (-p), this is what happens, but it is peculiar to preen mode:  bare
"fsck" (with no arguments) does check all filesystems.

First, for reference, here's the fstab in question (yes, it's fairly
chopped up):

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad0s3b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/ad0s1a		/S1		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s1e		/S1/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s2a		/S2		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s2e		/S2/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s3a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/ad0s3e		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s3g		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/ad0s3h		/common		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/acd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0

So I booted -CURRENT into single-user mode (after a clean reboot); here's
a hand-generated transcription:

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
# fsck -d -p
pass 1
pass 1, name /dev/ad0s3a
start / wait fsck_ufs -p /dev/ad0s3a
pass 2
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s1a
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s1e
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s2a
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s2e
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s3e
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s3g
pass 2, name /dev/ad0s3h
Parallel start
disk /dev/ad0: /dev/ad0s1a /dev/ad0s1e /dev/ad0s2a /dev/ad0s2e /dev/ad0s3e /dev/ad0s3g /dev/ad0s3h
start /S1 nowait fsck_ufs -p /dev/ad0s1a
Parallel wait
done ufs: /dev/ad0s1a (/S1) = 0x0
Parallel end
disk /dev/ad0: /dev/ad0s1e /dev/ad0s2a /dev/ad0s2e /dev/ad0s3e /dev/ad0s3g /dev/ad0s3h
#

I hope this is useful.  I should be able to perform additional testing.

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.