Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 15:29:22 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL *again* (was: New CODA release)

At 04:07 PM 2/8/99 -0600, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

>But by doing so, you negate your own arguments to this point. By your own
>line of reasoning, BSD code that's integrated into GPLed projects isn't
>developmentally dead; it's just entered a proprietary product, more or
>less.

Unfortunately, it's not proprietary; it's something significantly
different. It's part of a product whose purpose is to destroy
the market for commercial products.

>If someone snarks BSD code and sticks it in a commercial product,
>you don't get the benefit of future development unless they voluntarily
>release their proprietary code additions. Likewise, if you simply consider
>all GPLed products "dead," I fail to see how incorporating BSD code
>into GPLed projects differs from incorporating BSD code into proprietary
>projects whose source code will never see the public light of day.

I wouldn't call them "dead;" I'd call them "killers." They'd like to
kill both "evil" commercial software and those annoying BSDers who
support it.

--Brett

"Rules? This is the Internet." -- Dan Gillmor