Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 00:40:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu (Garance A Drosihn)
Cc:        chris@netmonger.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shells for you and shells for me

> To give a recent example I've stumbled across, a few 'autoconf'-
> generated scripts will not work under freebsd, due to the way our
> /bin/sh handles IFS processing.  This is more than a someone wanting
> tab completion or ~ expansion in /bin/sh, it's a practical issue when
> porting software.

Yes, recursive macro expansion does not work; that's either a "make"
issue or a "sh" issue, depending on where you want to push the blame.

> The problem with this particular example is that 'autoconf' is
> probably wrong in what it's doing.  Sure, it works on most
> platforms, but various standards imply that it should not
> work.  Also, there is another way for it to do what it wants
> to do, which is certain to work in all cases were it currently
> works, as well as FreeBSD's '/bin/sh' and a few other shells.

Exactly my opinion, actually.  There is one autoconf generated
makefile that assumes recursive macro expansion (in general,
files generates by configure generated by autoconf are tending
to require GNU make for the reason that ..uh...er... no good reason).
In fact, there is one set of code, the Cyrus ACAPD code, that is
known to not compile with the GNU toolchain, yet require GNU
make after the configure.  Bletch.

Depending on features that result in undefined behaviour according
to the relevent standards is Just Plain Wrong(tm).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.