Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:00:14 -0500
From:      Andy Myers <andy@frozentundra.net>
To:        "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@forestry.umn.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my hardware not listed in userconfig menue

At 12:37 PM 2/1/2002, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:
>I need some advice concerning the userconfig menue. After going into the
>visual mode kernel config menue I see several conflicts. However, very
>little of my hardware is listed. For example my adaptec 7890 scsi
>controller is not listed (instead I see adaptec 154x and 152x), neither
>is my 3com 905b network card. I am a little nervous about removing all
>the network cards that are conflicting without leaving one of them (even
>though it may not be the card on my system). Same issue with the scsi
>controller. There are no conflicts, but neither of the adaptec cards is
>the 7890 that is on my system. Should I remove, not leaving a scsi
>controller? or should I leave alone even though neither is my card? and
>hope that my hardware is found later in the install process...
>
>Any advice would be much appreciated...
>
>Kirk
>
>--
>Kirk R. Wythers                         University of Minnesota
>Tel: 612.625.2261                       Department of Forest Resources
>Fax: 612.625.5212                       1530 Cleveland Ave. N.
>Email: kwythers@forestry.umn.edu        Saint Paul, MN 55108

Kirk,

Your 3Com card uses the xl driver, so if that is listed don't remove
it.  The other network adapters are OK to remove.  I wondered the same
thing when I first installed FreeBSD, and I'm still not sure why some of
those devices are present.

If some of your other hardware is supported but isn't detected during the
install process, you can always add it later.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/hardware.html   <----  supported
hardware for 4.5-R

--
Andy Myers