Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:45:34 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Adam Stouffer <astouffer@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
Subject:   ipfilter bug (was: Re: compiler bugs? )

Adam Stouffer wrote:
> I'm trying to get ipfilter compiled so this box can be made into a
> firewall. After getting the latest ipfilter sources (3.4.21) I follow the
> instructions and type 'make freebsd4' after a minute or so it stops with
> this error:
>
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> ../../ip_auth.c: In function `fr_auth_ioctl':
> ../../ip_auth.c:344: warning: comparison is always false due to limited
> range of data type
> *** Error code 1
>
> Line 344 shows:
>
> 	if (cmd == SIOCRMAFR) {
>
> After emailing Darren Reed he says its because of a compiler bug. Is this
> true? 4.4 release also ships with the same 2.95.3 version of gcc. Also why
> is ipfilter not included in the ports tree? Thanks.

Nope. It is a code bug in ipfilter:

int fr_auth_ioctl(data, mode, cmd, fr, frptr)
caddr_t data;
int mode;
#if defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__) || (FreeBSD_version >= 300003)
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
u_long cmd;
#else
int cmd;
#endif

It is __FreeBSD_version, not FreeBSD_version.  This means that it is using
the 'int cmd' form, which is not large enough to represent the SIOCRMAFR
ioctl value.

> Adam

Cheers,
-Peter