Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:49:33 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > So, when is SIGFPE going to be triggered above, since it appears to be
> > > masked by using fnstw vs. fstw.
> >
> > When the above is interrupted by a signal, and the signal handler wants
> > to switch to another thread, and erroneously saves the context using
> > fsave instead of fnsave.
>
> Assuming I used followed things up with 'fnsave', will the exception be
> triggered by a frstor, and thus the exception will be correctly reported
> by the thread triggering the excpetion?

Only on broken systems.

> > > In other words, how do I actually make sure that I receive the
> > > exception/trapf for FP errors?
> >
> > Let the thread (appear to) continue normally by never triggering a trap
> > for the exception if you switch its context.  Using fnsave/frstor
> > accomplishes this, except on broken (old) systems where fnsave traps anyway.
>
> Is this broken hardware systems, or broken software systems?  (In other
> words, does "broken (old)" imply a bug in hardware or software?)

Mostly broken hardware.  Software can still get the broken behaviour by
using irq13 error reporting, which may still be required for backwards
compatibility.  I think W98 would have to use it for DOS mode; I don't
know about native mode.

See Appendix C of the Intel MMX manual (1997 version at least) for more
details.

Bruce