Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 00:01:53 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        hasty@netcom.com (Amancio Hasty Jr)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SNAP or current?

>>   Umm, I wouldn't count on the next SNAP being too stable. I have a dozen
>>serious bugs (panics or system hangs) on the whiteboard, and I don't expect
>
>Care to elaborate ?
>
>Mostly because I am not seeing any panics over here (cross my fingers) and
>perhaps they could be due to a driver or option configured in the kernel.

   Try copying a large file to a mounted msdos filesystem; it will destroy
your root filesystem.
   Try using NQNFS; it will hang your machine.
   Try using an 8bit ethernet card, or a 16bit card in a slow machine w/heavy
net traffic; your machine will panic.
   Try using bounce buffers; your machine will eventually panic in
vm_bounce_alloc().
   Try using your machine in a heavy load environment like freefall; it will
eventually hang in a vnode lock deadlock.
   Try using quotas with multiple filesystems; your machine will panic.
   Try "ifconfig sl0 1.1.1.1; route add default 1.1.1.1; telnet 1.1.1.2"; your
machine won't bother panicing, it'll just reboot because of a stack overflow.
   Try getting a soft error on your floppy (or try formatting one); it used to
cause a panic, now it just prints out a nasty message telling us to fix the
bug with biodone() being called more than once.
   ...and then there's the mmap() bugs that will hang your machine, etc, etc.
The above is just a sample and doesn't include what I consider the most
serious of the bugs - the wild pointer that randomly corrupts kernel memory.
If I could reproduce that problem at will, I'd have it fixed by now.
Unfortunately, it happens about 1 in 100 times I boot the machine, just after
fsck finishes...or at random other times during normal system use. If you're
lucky, it will just cause the machine to die. If you're unlucky like John, it
will corrupt some FS buffers and destroy your superblock and root directory.
   Don't get to comfortable with -current...and do regular backups. :-(

-DG