Date:      Thu, 5 May 2005 21:45:32 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <dgerow@dementia.afflictions.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   www/80684: Tyan K8WE (S2895) notes

>Number:         80684
>Category:       www
>Synopsis:       Tyan K8WE (S2895) notes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD dementia.afflictions.org 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #1: Thu May 5 19:13:47 EDT 2005 root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

	I received a Tyan K8WE (S2895) yesterday.  It's 'functional':

	- 5.3-R and 5.4-STABLE (as of today) boot fine, with ACPI
	- I'm not using the SCSI
	- Booting into single-user mode, for some reason, does not work in 5.4
		- The machine will not accept input for shell specification,
		  but hitting ctrl+alt+del will successfully reboot the machine
		- Booting into single-user mode seems to work fine in 5.3-R
	- only currently using one CPU
	- ports/nvnet does *not* detect the nVidia GBE adapters
	- I've had some CD issues that I haven't tracked down
	- ACPI is *required* (and luckily it works) to enumerate the PCI bus,
	  as well as use DMA mode on the SATA controller (amongst other things,
	  I'm sure)
	- Changing the installed OS type in the BIOS from 'Linux' to 'Other'
	  seemingly has no effect (and vice-versa).
>How-To-Repeat:
	Find a Tyan K8WE.  Install FreeBSD.  Play.