Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:29:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, owner-freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ada@bsd.org, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnat port

> > Actually there has been a port submission (PR 3687).  I have exchanged
>
> Ooops, I guess I should have queried the PRs *before* starting
> this Don Quichoteese fight with gcc and friends--devoting every
> spare second to it. :-( Didn't even take the time to read the mail
> last couple of days, so it's only today that I learned about this
> PR and gnat-3.09.
>
> > commit now.  It uses a separate tarball (gcc-2.7.2.1.tar.gz), so go
> > ahead and fix it to use /usr/src/contrib/gcc.
>
> I'll try, but it's not trivial. Anyway I think it's worth it.

If this is in regard to fixing the gnat port to use FreeBSDs
gcc, please do not do that.  I changed the gnat port so that
it *doesn't* depend on /usr/src/contrib/gcc (which can be a
moving target, and changes to it will make the gnat port fail).

I diff'd the FreeBSD gcc source tree with the stock 2.7.2.1
source tree, and used that as a patch file to apply to the
stock gcc-2.7.2.1.  Now the gnat port should work regardless
of what happens to /usr/src/contrib/gcc.

Another reason for basing the gnat port on the stock gcc
distribution is that FreeBSDs gcc will always lag behind
the latest and greatest GNU gcc.  When ACT (Ada Core Technologies)
starts using newer gccs, we can easily stay current with
GNAT by using the stock gcc distributions.  The GNAT port
has, in the past, been left behind because it was based on the
stock gcc distribution - GNAT-2.0.3 was based on gcc-2.6.3
and was never maintained when GNAT went to gcc-2.7.2.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org