Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:57:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Versioning bsd.port.mk

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Bill Fenner wrote:

> Tim Vanderhoek <tim@x22> wrote:
> >Yes, every port should depend on a specific revision of
> >bsd.port.mk, not just the complex ones.
>
> I disagree; a port that uses only $DISTNAME and $MASTER_SITES will
> never break (unless we're morons).

Well.....  ;-)

> >By the way, do we really agree that we should force this variable
> >(modulo manual overrides, of course) to exactly match the timestamp of
> >bsd.port.mk?
>
> No, I thought that it should be "this-version-or-newer", just like when
> using __FreeBSD_version or BSD defines.

Itojun's patch uses "this-version-or-newer".  Exact matching
would be more of a hassle to use, I think.

> I guess there's no "on error" target in Make -- maybe we could forget
> all this versioning stuff and print a message about making sure your
> bsd.port.mk was up to date when a build error occurs.

Which wouldn't catch errors that don't cause something to fail.
Eg. If bsd.port.mk adds a new variable, DOCFILES, a port
depending on this won't fail, and neither make(1) nor bsd.port.mk
will release an error (ie. failure to install DOCFILES) occured.

Well..they could check the PLIST to make sure all listed files
are installed, but....

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk