Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Subject:   Re: virtually contig jumbo mbufs (was Re: new zero copy sockets snapshot)

In article <15653.62134.521004.349089@grasshopper.cs.duke.edu>,
Andrew Gallatin  <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
>  > WHOOPS, I'm afraid I have to correct myself.  The BCM570x chips do
>  > indeed support multiple buffers for jumbo packets.  I'm sorry for the
>  > earlier misinformation!
>
> Are programming docs for this board available?

To get them you have to execute an NDA with Broadcom.  So we're
effectively limited to what can be gleaned from the Linux driver.  Its
header file has a struct declaration for the "T3_EXT_RCV_BD" (extended
receive buffer descriptor, probably) but the driver doesn't actually
use it.  Without the docs it would take a lot of trial & error to
figure out how to make it work.

In other words, I doubt that the bge driver could use a new buffer API
unless it provided a way to get physically contiguous buffers.

John
--
  John Polstra