Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:16:13 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recursively Deinstalling and Upgrading Packages/Ports without Breaking Dependencies?

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 18:28:53 -0500
Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With portupgrade, I used to use "pkg_deinstall -R" to deinstall a
> package and its dependencies while preserving the packages on which
> other packages were depending on. With pkgng, the behaviour of
> "pkg_deinstall -R" changed and this command is now breaking
> dependencies. Is there a new method to safely remove packages recursively?

If menu style (dialogical)  operation is OK, I prefer
ports-mgmt/pkg_rmleaves.
Once deleting any leaf port, it asks for processing new leaf and you
can select what to delete.

> Also, in the past, it used to be possible to use a "portupgrade -NRra"
> command to upgrade all packages and install new dependencies as
> required, but the "-N" option is no longer supported in this context and
> portupgrade seems unable to automatically install new dependencies. Is
> there an alternate method to achieve this?

I also am suffering from it.
My nonesense but working workaround is...
 1)Upgrade all possible ones as you do.
 2)Upgrade again with -w -W option added to portupgrade.
 3)Do portversion -vl'<'
 4)Do portsclean -C and compare its output with outputs of the above.
 5)Install missing (only exists in portsclean output) port.
 6)Upgrade again as 1).
 7)If required, repeat 2) - 6) again.

Fixing portupgrade is clearly above me, but looking into build logs, it
seems that package for new dependencies are created, but not installed
with -p option.

One more to mention. I usually fetch distfiles first, by -aF option.
In this phase, I'm asked OPTIONS dialog for new dependency if any.

> It seems much more human time consuming to deinstall and upgrade
> packages since these two functionalities disappeared from portupgrade...

100% agree with the latter.