Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 20:45:18 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Dany Cayouette <danyc@playground.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mustek Flatbed Scanner.

Dany Cayouette <danyc@playground.net> types:
> Hi,
>   Do you mind me asking why you would select a USB scanner as opposed to a SCSI
> one?  I have one of those evil 'parallel port scanner' which is about the only
> reason I still have a system at home running Window$.  I was thinking of replacing
> it.  So far, I've had good success with most SCSI devices even if I have to pay
> extra money for it.  Just curious to get your experience with your scanner.

Nothing wrong with SCSI; it's just that scanners seem to be stretching
the design for it a bit.

My SCSI scanner is the slowest, flakiest device on my SCSI bus. I
don't like being afraid to burn CDs while scanning because the the bus
is tied up. I also had to rearrange the internal cabling on my system
to keep the SCSI bus inside the SCSI length limits after adding an
external cable to reach the scanner. And having a wide->narrow
transition in the middle of the bus worries me as well.

If you don't put a slow, flaky device on your system bus, you have to
have a separate controller for the thing - which means you are
dedicating a slot and possibly an IRQ just for it, which seems
ridiculous.

Finally, my SCSI BIOS doesn't handle hot swappable devices. If the
scanner is off when I boot, the controller won't see it, and a reboot
is required to use the thing, which I find disgusting.

USB seems to be an improvement in all these areas. One shared IRQ, no
slots. Good support for relatively slow devices like keyboards and
modems, and for bulk transfer devices like printers and scanners.  It
also supports plugging and unplugging the things while they are hot.

	<mike