Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 20:36:26 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: panic: sleeping process owns a mutex

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 16-May-01 Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > Oh, I'd like you to think twice about this. Massive amounts of driver
> > rototilling should be avoided at this point.
>
> Well, it's causing panics in some cases.  Those are bad.  Basically I would b
> reverting earlier changes.

For most of the drivers it is farly low impact.  Simply replace things like
this:

#define FOO_LOCK(sc) mtx_lock(sc->sc_mtx);
#define FOO_UNLOCK(sc) mtx_unlock(sc->sc_mtx);

with:
#if 0
#define FOO_LOCK(sc) mtx_lock(sc->sc_mtx);
#define FOO_UNLOCK(sc) mtx_unlock(sc->sc_mtx);
#else
#define FOO_LOCK(sc)
#define FOO_UNLOCK(sc)
#endif

That should at least discourage more cut/paste of the same broken locking
logic into new drivers.

> >> Well, I think the best thing to do for now will be to back out all the
> >> ethernet
> >> driver locking until we figure out how we are actually going to lock them.
> >> The original locks that went in starting with fxp many months ago weren't
> >> quite
> >> right but have been mostly harmless up to this point.   There are some cas
    es
> >> where we sleep with locks however, which can lead to problems.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> >> PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc
> >> "Power Users Use the Power to Serve!"  -  http://www.FreeBSD.org/