Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 12:30:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Peter Sleggs <peters@belsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote power cycle

> considering 2 projects.
>
> 1. Watchdog card, or box of some sort
>
> 2. Reset controller box
>    serial input [ modem maybe ] with 8 relays to allow the reset of
>    computers remotely
>
> Is there a demand for these sorts of hardware ?
> Wish lists for features ?

We bought jobbers off the shelf for this - for approx $250 you get a
central control jobber and a bunch of jobbies you plug into outlets and
then the cpu into that - I DONT USE THEM EVER because I have found that
more times than not (unless it is my 1 last SCO box) is that something
serious, that requires my prescence went wrong - like a bad hard disk -
and power cyclingly blindly in many cases would not only hide the evidence
of what is up, but could actually make matters worse.