Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:51:57 +0100
From:      Christian Sandberg <christian@yes.no>
To:        aphor@ripco.com
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial UARTs for ISDN "modems"

On Tue, Dec 16, 1997 at 03:58:07AM +0000, Jeremy McMillan wrote:
>Since raw DCE data rates of paired B channels can reach 131072bps, and the serial
>port's limit is 115200bps, there's an obvious bottleneck going on here. As for
>using faster hardware: 16750UARTs may or may not function like 16550UARTs to
>FreeBSD, and even if they do, the software doesn't expllicitly support dual B ISDN
>at full blast with a serial TA.

Thats no problem at all. I have been using a Zyxel Omni.net for about
1 year and it works great with the Zyxel IO card. FreeBSD probes the
IO card as a 16550A:

sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

With the MS-DOS software that comes with the card you can f.ex. set the card
to double the speed. If you set PPP to use 115200 you get 230400. Here in
Norway you can buy the IO card for about $20.

I get about 13-14 kb/s both ways (uploading and downloading at the same time)
without any FIFO overruns or PPP/HDLC errors on my 486/66 FreeBSD
networkserver at home..

The only problem I've had with the Zyxel is that is somethimes (once every
month or something) get too hot. Then it reports "NO CARRIER" on ATD
commands. I have to turn it of for some minutes to get it to dial out again.

--
Christian Sandberg      | Yes Interactive AS | voice: +47 64 855200
email: christian@yes.no | http://www.yes.no/ | fax:   +47 64 855201