Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:26:15 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        Richard Kuhns <sawmill!rjk@uunet.uu.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer setup/configuration

    Richard> First, when configuring a printer, you can give it a type
    Richard> (a la TERM in termcap/terminfo), which lp can use to set
    Richard> special options on the printer.  Then, when you want to
    Richard> print a given file (output from a report) (spreadsheet),
    Richard> `lp -o cpi=16' will print the thing at 16 chars/in, `lp
    Richard> -o lpi=8' will print it at 8 lines/in, and you can have
    Richard> multiple `-o' options on the command line.

I believe the usual solution with the LPD spooler is to make multiple
/etc/printcap entries that eventually refer to the same printer:

	cpi16:\
		:pw#132:tc=lp:
	lpi8:\
		:pl#88:tc=lp:
	lp:\
		:lp=/dev/ttyd7:fs#0x8200001:\
		:if=/usr/local/libexec/filter:

But this is really sidestepping the issue: there should be a way to
pass specialized arguments to the filters.  That's why I prefer
Patrick Powell's PLP, a freely-available replacement for LPD.  It's
compatible with the LPD protocol, and has a few nice extensions,
especially for handling NFS-mounted spooling directories, multiple
printers on a single queue, and specialized arguments to the filters.

At one site I administrated, users really liked the ability to type

	lpr -P somePrinter -Z duplex,paper=punched someDoc1 someDoc2

    Richard> Plus, since these all refer to the same logical printer,
    Richard> a single command is all that's necessary to disable
    Richard> printing.

A nice bonus.

    Richard> Second, forms.  It's very handy to be able to say `print
    Richard> this on a printer that has Purchase Order forms mounted',
    Richard> and have it either print immediately on an appropriate
    Richard> printer, or stay in the spool until someone loads
    Richard> Purchase Order forms on a printer and informs the system.

I didn't even think SysV's lp supported this ... you mean some way to
let a user notify an operator for a certain form, and let the operator
notify the spooler that the requested forms are mounted ... or an
automatic way for a printer to notify the spooler, otherwise hold the
job?

This is an interesting feature request ... I've always been working on
a replacement printer spooler in the background ... I wonder how
this'll fit in.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day because that means
it's going to be up all night. -- Steven Wright