Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 1995 17:39:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        tom@misery.sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: I hosed my system with a -current kernel

> On Tue, 25 Jul 1995, Michael Vernick wrote:
>
> > Sorry that I'm not responding to your question, but did you get any
> > answers?  I've also seemed to have hosed my kernel and need a way to
> > copy a kernel from floppy back to the hard disk so I can reboot.
>
>   Is "kernel.GENERIC" hosed too?  If not, just type its name at the boot
> prompt to boot it instead.

I have a bunch of kernels in /. None of them works. It's a file system
problem.
I'm getting:

WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
panic: ffs_write()     (some such)

The panic happens with whatever kernel I choose.

I'm trying to build a fixit.flp on another machine
now for some hours to no avail. I copied the 2.0.5-RELEASE-CD src
tree (from the live fs CD) to the disk and try to

make RELEASEDIR=/usr/tmp CHROOTDIR=/home BUILDNAME=FIXIT fixit.flp
(and some other targets which broke here and there).
And it wiped out my /home dir :-( (grrrr)

Now I'm trying to build world first and then make relase.
Making release only resulted in crt0.o not being found at some
early stage.

> Tom

FreeBSD blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0:
Tue Jul 18 14:49:19 MET DST 1995     kuku@blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de:
/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUESGUS  i386