Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 11:02:36 -0800
From:      Ken Ingram <kingram@ipro.com>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

Never mind the fdisk it works. But something else bothers me...

I have two IDE drives in the system. They are exactly the same:
WD0  -- \
WD2  -- /       Maxtor 71084A 1036MB(2121840 sectors),2105 cyls,16 heads
                63 sector/track, 512 bytes/sector
However,

The disklabel info for wd0 says:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 4032
cylinders: 525
sectors/unit: 2120769

And for wd2 I edited the disklabel entry to duplicate the entry somewhat.
My question is: Why do i have to spend hours of time cross-referencing
every damn thing when all I want to do is format the bloody thing.

Is there or is there not a simple way to do this?
If there is a simple way what should be investigated when it isn't working
as described (e.g. FAQ part 2.15)?

At 09:58 AM 1/9/97 -0800, Ken Ingram wrote:
>Thanks. I looked it over and tried some things but it's so poorly written
>that I'm now more confused than ever.
>
>If I run fdisk manually I can't get it to recognize wd2.
>

>At 07:30 AM 1/9/97 +0100, J Wunsch wrote:
>>As Ken Ingram wrote:
>>
>>> I've added a second IDE Hard Drive to the FreeBSD-based mail server.
>>> What documents do I need to peruse to properly partion the drive so I
>>> can mount it?
>>
>>See the FAQ, section 2.15.  Preferably, use the updated FAQ on
>>http://www.freebsd.org/.
>>
>>--
>>cheers, J"org
>>
>>joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
>>Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)
>>

>--Ken
>Ken Ingram	kingram@ipro.com   |
>				POST NO BILLS

--Ken