Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:56:18 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: future of syscons

> The kernel configuration file should look:
>
> controller 	kbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
> device 		atkbd0 at isa? tty flags xxxx
> device		psm0 at isa? tty flags yyy

Just to note that ultimately you won't specify the 'tty' mask here, but
rather in the interrupt connection function, so:

controller	atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0 at kbdc?
device		psm0 at kbdc?

Also, since the atkbd and psm device interrupt handlers can only be
called from the atkbdc driver, they don't register interrupts and thus
don't have/need masks.

> device		sc0 at isa? tty flags zzz

What's this?  Don't you mean:

pseudo-device	syscons 1

(or whatever incantation you want to use to get it included)?

> NOTE: pcvt driver will still work after this change.  But, it will not
> be able to use the USB keyboard.

Hellmuth was making noises about working on pcvt.  You might want to
talk to him about having him focus on the vtxxx emulation features, and
perhaps on the personality interface so that we end up with a quality
vtxxx emulation as an option?  (hm@freebsd.org)

In general, excellent!  It's great to see this happening at last. 8)

Thanks for taking it on!