Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 21:30:39 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        tm@blom.co.id, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FYI: Interesting IDE-Ultra/33 results

[...]
>For those who might try to blow off the transfer rate issue,
>remember that slow transfers can add to the latency of a I/O
>transfer request.  The faster the transfer rate from the drive, the
>shorter the channel will be busy, and the quicker the total
>response time can be.  As I commented on earlier though, my
[...]

However, there's more than one way to minimize command overhead.
Which is why tagged-command-queuing is so important for SCSI
performance, allowing multiple commands to be queued with minimal
additional overhead.

I'm not minimizing the results above -- they are impressive.  However,
I don't think that particular command overhead test completely
accounts for all the subtleties of this issue.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.