Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:55:40 -0500
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'Marc Tardif'" <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "'alton@plantnet.com'" <alton@plantnet.com>, "'alton@van.accessus.net'" <alton@van.accessus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: implementing a fs on a raw partition

If someone in the FS dept. would draw up a broad outline for FS implementation
I hereby volunteer to flesh it out thoroughly and donate the end-product docs to
the FreeBSD project.  I am a professional UNIX (AIX/SOLARIS) programmer and
fairly clueful kernel source peruser and tweaker, fully capable of producing
professional quality technical documentation.
I propose the following iterative process:

1)  FS guru draws up broad scheme.
2)  I flesh it out with resort to trial and error & research,  trying very hard
to figure
     everything out for myself but ask precisely worded usually Y/N questions
when
     I get good and stumped.
3)  I submit draft for inspection by FS people, receive feedback.
4)  I repair draft & goto (2)

Please refer only to 3.x & 4.x methodology in the broad scheme.  We'll make this
a baseline and allow any deprecated stuff to properly atrophy into mummy dust.

The purpose of this exercise is to produce a definitive procedure for coding new
filesystems for use in the FreeBSD kernel.  Benefits include speed of porting of
'foreign' FSes and feedback to the core group on implementation issues.

Please CC alton@plantnet.com and alton@van.accessus.net in replies.  The wife
is 10 days overdue to deliver a baby and I'll (God, hopefully) be on vacation
all next
week and in sleep deprivation hallucinatory mode.