Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:03:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      mb@imp.ch
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/14829: rc.shutdown is handled unconsistently by reboot(8), shutdown -r now etc.

>Number:         14829
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       rc.shutdown is handled unconsistently by reboot(8), shutdown -r now etc.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
- 'init(8) -6', 'shutdown(8) -r now' do execute rc.shutdown.
- 'CTRL ALT DELETE', 'reboot(8)' don't execute it.

In my opinion it's wrong to think that rc.shutdown has only
something to do with shutdown(8). If someone depends on terminating
all services properly, it is a good idea to always do proper
shutdowns. The advice 'use shutdown(8)' if you like proper shutdowns
is a bad idea. Many people (including me) are used to shutdown the
system in different ways and they don't like to do it suddenly in
a different manner.

I wrote and sent this in because my little program (rpc.umntall) does
depend on proper shutdowns. It get's executed in /etc/rc.shutdown ...
so you know why I was angry about people saying 'use shutdown, not
reboot'. If we don't handle this case properly, /var/db/mountdtab will
never be handled properly.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
In all cases it would be a good idea to do a kill(1, SIGINT),
so init starts rc.shutdown before it exits. This leads to _always_
proper shutdowns _and_ reboots. If we support the SYSV init emulation,
we should also handle it properly.