Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 20:36:02 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stolen script?

> On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 08:25:44PM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>
> > I'm afraid that such "blanket coverage" would not be even remotely
> > legal, according to the Bern convention or otherwise.  All files must
> > bear the appropriate rcopyright text, especially given the fact that
> > we mix and match copyrights under /usr/src - /usr/src/gnu is obviously
> > not covered by src/COPYRIGHT for example.
>
> So why do we even have src/COPYRIGHT, then? To copyright itself?

I've always wondered that myself.  Go do a grep on all our .c files
and you'll find that far more of them contain copyright lines than
don't, so even if it was intended as "a place to point" it certainly
never fulfilled that purpose.  I think it was one of those "seemed
like a good idea at the time" things.

- Jordan