Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: Soft-updates sources are moving soon

Sometime this weekend (July 3-5) I am planning to repository-copy
the soft-updates sources from their current location in
"src/contrib/sys/softupdates" to "src/sys/contrib/softupdates".  All
of you using soft-updates will need to adjust your symbolic links in
"src/sys/ufs/ffs" after this change has taken effect.

The reasons for the move have been discussed before.  Briefly, we want
to move all of the kernel code to "src/sys" so that the sys tree will
be more self-contained.  Kirk McKusick has agreed to this change --
in fact he favors it.  I'm going to do this in both the -current and
RELENG_3 branches.

Here is the 1-question FAQ:

Q. These symbolic links are a pain.  Why don't you just edit
"src/sys/conf/files" appropriately?

A. The license terms for soft-updates do not permit that.  See the
FreeBSD mailing list archives (the FreeBSD-current list, probably) for
more details.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron