Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 1997 00:31:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Cc:        smp@csn.net, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continquous Memory vs Virtual Memory

Quoth Amancio Hasty on Fri, 21 March:
: the device can be protected as well as the program

Indeed, I agree with the poster who suggested that appropriate use of
device permissions is sufficient to address this problem.  One need
not move RISC code generation into the kernel in order to make it
secure: One may instead move the barrier of security out into
userland.  Let dtv be setuid and the device permissions limited.
I agree that the X server analogy is a good one.