Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:14:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Justin Boss <jlboss@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pw and samba

Boss wrote:
> > I use FreeBSD 4.4 with Samba. I'm trying to get
the
> > 'add user script' working so it will add
workstation
> > trust account. Workstation trust account end with
a $
> > ( workstation$ ) but pw gives me a invalid
character
> > '$'. Currently my add user script looks like this
'pw
> > useradd -n %m$ -g staff -s /sbin/nologin -c %m -d
/'
> > %m is the value of the name of the workstation
that is
> > passed by Samba. What I was thinking needs to be
done
> > is have pw except the $ as a valid character. Is
there
> > another way?

I know that this seems to be a miner inconvenience.
But this is the reason why people use linux over
FreeBSD even thought FreeBSD is better in almost every
other way. That is why I’m trying to fix it. The more
convenience FreeBSD becomes the more people will use
it. I think if the coding of pw was edited to except
the $ as a valid character would fix the problem. Does
someone know how I would ask bin to do this?