Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:39:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        englehar@src.honeywell.com (Matt Englehart)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file transfer over serial port locks up pc

Matt Englehart stands accused of saying:

> Hello, I'm running the April snapshot of 2.0 on a pc that is hooked up to a
> network with the 3com 509b board.  When I attempt to do a file transfer
> over the serial port, the machine hangs.  Sometimes I get a warning: messages
> saying the silo buffer is overflowwing (I have a UART16550A).  I am
> connceting with a 28800 modem, and between the pc and the modem I have
> tried 38400 and 115200.  This happens when I try transfering a file using
> any of the following applications:
>
> 1. netscape over ppp
> 2. ftp over ppp
> 3. rz/sz
> 4. tupload over term (the term program, originally written for Linux)
>
> It seems as though things have gotten worse now that I've added the
> ethernet interface.  It used to rarely hang.  Now it does within an instant
> of attempting file transfer.
>
> I'm thinking of trying out 2.0.5R.  Do you have enough of a clue as to what
> the problem might be to say that it might be eliminated in 2.0.5R?

That depends on whether you fix your hardware problems first.  I suspect
that you have a configuration problem; more explicitly, I suspect that
you have your ethernet controller on the same IRQ as one of your serial
ports.

> Matt Englehart

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[