Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:34:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@fledge.watson.org>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Burning Audio CD scripts

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've found your burn_audio/convert2cdr scripts by searching the
> mailing list archives.  Thanks!
>
> One question.  Did you use cdd to read audio files?  I noticed
> your burn_audio scripts wanted .cdr files, while cdd produces
> .cda files.  Is the raw format produced by cdd, the same thing
> as the format you expect with the .cdr files?  So I'd be able
> to read an audio track with:
>
> cdd -r -noed -t 1 /usr/local/cd
>
> And rename the resulting /usr/local/cd/track-01.cda to track-01.cdr
> to make it compatible with your burn_audio scripts?

I have not sued cdd to generate .cda files -- most of the audio files I've
burned have been generated on a Linux machine using cdd, however.
Generally I use my CDR to burn data disks for myself, but occasionally I
make audio CD's for others, hence having written the scripts.  I believe
cdd supports capture to .wav files, which my conversion scripts (should
also have been attached to the message) will convert to cdr files using
sox.  If in doubt, generate a track both ways, and see if the files are
the same or not.  At the time I wrote the scripts, a FreeBSD port of cdd
was not available, so I didn't really experiment with it much (other than
to discover that my machine generates little-endian data files by default,
which cds are not :).

Let me know when you find out, and I'll post modified scripts/instructions
to use the information.

thanks,
Robert Watson