Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:38:43 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPX

>> SPX runs over IPX, so why would an IPX router care about or be incompatible
>> with either implementation?
>
>Because SAP implies temporary bindery objects in previous implementations
>for routing to operate.
>
>If you are talking about serving NetWare clients, then you are talking
>about responding to GetNearestServer() calls from the clients, at the
>very least to proxy them, since only a server on the same segment can
>respond directly.
>
>That's why Novell coined the term "brouter" implying a combination
>bridge/router being necessary -- no flat bridging allowed, unless
>you don't expect the hop count to be maintained correctly.

A true IPX router manages a network routing table and proliferates server
information with other routers in the cloud. The information provided in
response to a "GetNearestServer" call is a server name and a net, thus
implying routing, not bridging. Routers route to nets in a very similar
manner to IP routing. SPX is more analogous to TCP.....there is no impact or
significance of windows or other aspects of SPX at the IPX routing level.
Our IPX router is conformant to the "IPX Router Specification" Novell part
number 107-000029-001.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25