Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:25:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pcnfsd..

> It makes enabling it in /etc/sysconfig a one step operation.  I can
> live with it being a two-stepper, but I can't always count on access
> to the package collection.. :-(

It's not a good idea to try and have evey possible package that people
might want to use configured from /etc/sysconfig. I'm not happy about
apache being started from /etc/rc for example. This just isn't the
way things should be. The "system" startup configuration should only
deal with the core functionality that every unix box needs to run.
Stuff that only particular sites would use should use some other mechanism.

Umm, not to go over old wounds, but the code I changed in sysconfig made
this straightforward, which looked in a user-definable directory for
startup files which packages would stick there when they were installed.

If you want to make it easy to configure pcnfsd then all you do is add
a default startup file to the package and when you run pkg_add it just
appears on the next reboot as though it was part of the system.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)