Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 13:44:53 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Ethernet (aue) panics on 4.10 (kern/69319)

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 09:16:35AM +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Aue is quite stable under > 5 in this regard.  What is screwed, and has
> been for a long time, is that it doesn't handle 100basetx at all well.
> Very often just plugging into a 100base network freezes the machine
> solid.  (Doing a preliminary 'ifconfig aue0 media 10baset/utp' some
> times helps, but not always; quite often it will go 100base anyway! :().
>
> Joe

Interestingly, one of my adapters (a LinkSys) always locks the machine when
plugged into a 100Mbit network, but the other one (a Belkin) never does.
Or at least it hasn't yet.  Fortunately my cable modem only talks 10baseT
so the LinkSys is fine on there :-)

Anyway, the problem in kern/69319 is quite different and only affects 4.x.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon