Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:22:16 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"]

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 06:22:46PM -0600, Jay Nelson wrote:
[snip]
> >Shooting yourself or someone else unintentionally is almost always
> >stupid, but it's still an accident. I don't understand how you are
> >saying this is more complicated. It's simple. People, everyone, you,
> >me, and everyone reading this, make mistakes. If you want to classify
> >them all as stupid, OK, but we all do it. And when one makes a mistake
> >with a deadly weapon, which is going to happen at a certain rate
> >because people do screw up, the stakes are just that much
> >higher. Where's the complexity?
>
> With that attitude, you wouldn't last 30 seconds in the shooting
> crowd. That attitude is not tolerated.

It sure seems it is to me, and I have been around and in that
crowd. You never ever point a gun at someone, even if it is not loaded
because unloaded guns have this odd tendency to go off once in a
while. The attitude I was taught when handling guns is always take
precautions that assume you or someone else _has_ accidently left the
gun loaded or otherwise made a mistake. I mean, is that not Rule
Number One? Treat any gun like it were loaded even if you "know" its
not?

One assumes there will be small mistakes, but the correct way to
handle a weapon prevents those small mistakes from compounding. Now,
believing that you will not make mistakes because it is just
unacceptable, _that_ spells trouble.

And I have a headache. Thread done at this end. Oh, one thing about
the Selective Service remark in one mail. I do remember I'm registered
there and would have recently been reminded. Can you believe the
Feds made me dig back and actually find my number in my records for a
background check?