Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:16:28 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        didier@omnix.fr.org (Didier Derny), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Zip drive.

>> when I was using FreeBSD 2.0 I was able to install a ufs file
>> system on  a zip disk.
>>
>> Since I have installed FreeBSD 2.05 I'm unable to do that.
>>
>> I probably missed something with fdisk/disklabel.
>
>What's the symptom?
>
>Peter
>--
>Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
>HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
>dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267

Most likely your problem is that you are using the whole disk and
attempting to access it with a slice device.

To get a Zip drive running properly, stick a DOS partition on it, use
FreeBSD's fdisk to change the sysid to 165 (ie ensure that all other
portions of the parition remain untouched), then use the following
disktab entry to slam a disklabel on it:

zip100|Iomega Zip 100: \
        :ty=winchester:dt=SCSI:se#512:nt#64:ns#32:nc#96:rm#3600:\
        :pa#196576:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:ta=4.2BSD: \
        :pc#196576:oc#0:

The disklabel assumes Adaptec standard geometry, so you may have to
tweek it a bit.

The label can be installed with a:

disklabel -w -r /dev/sd2s4 zip100
			^^<== Partition number from fdisk.