Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 23:17:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vinay Kumar <vinay@agni.nuko.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need a packet capture and playback utility

Hi folks,

I have been looking for a packet capture and playback utility. tcpdump
does not suit my requirements. I am in the middle of some experimentation
with network traffic simulations. I think it will be better if I describe
what I am looking for. I need a IP packet capture utility which can store
the entire IP packet. I also want a utility that can playback the stored
packets (meaning sending it out on the network) honoring the time
intervals. Meaning if there was a gap of 2.5 seconds between two
consecutive IP packets, then it should playback the packets with the same
gap. I tried checking the ftp.ee.lbl.gov and the Internet traffic archive
but could not find a exact match for my requirements. Before I go off
writing such a tool, I would like to find out if anyone know of such a
tool? I appreciate any help.

If anyone is interested in knowing what exactly I am doing, I will be more
than glad to fill in the details.

Thanks for any help.

Vinay
--