Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:13:42 +0900
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Derrick Ryalls <ryallsd@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Gnome's bottom panel doesn't display running programs

--nextPart3489706.gfPxrHuIjN

Sunday 29 January 2006 12:36=E3=80=81Derrick Ryalls =E3=81=95=E3=82=93=E3=
=81=AF=E6=9B=B8=E3=81=8D=E3=81=BE=E3=81=97=E3=81=9F:
> Greetings,
>
> I did some searching, but didn't find anything so I was hoping someone
> might have a clue on this.
>
> I just did the compile for gnome 2.12 on FreeBSD 6 and so far most
> everything seems to work except the lower panel does not display the
> current running programs or the other virtual desktops.  I can alt-tab to
> the other programs in the same virtual terminal, and can use cntrl-alt
> (left/right) to get to the other terminals, but none show the normal bar =
at
> the bottom.  The top bar looks normal (has normal menus, clock, etc).  I
> hope this is just dependancy that needs to be rebuilt, but am unsure of
> which one do try.
>
> My install was something like this:
>
> Install Freebsd 6 using 6.0 release disc burned last month.
> Install basic packages via sysinstall
> At this point I tried portupgrade -NPPR x11/gnome2
> After many weird issue on out of date dependancies, I used the
> gnome2.12update script to fix the issues.
> After update script was finished, I executed a normal install: cd
> x11/gnome2; make install clean
>
> The final install did complete successfully and gnome has been running, b=
ut
> the bottom panel isn't working.
>
> Thanks in advance for any clues.

If I recall correctly (can't test at the moment due to hard disk failure)=20
GNOME relies on DBUS working to get everything working proper.  I believe=20
that the window list is part of that.  Try making sure that DBUS is in fact=
=20
working.  You enable it by putting dbus_enable=3D"YES" or similar (from mem=
ory,=20
that hard disk thing) in /etc/rc.conf.  Since that only affects at boot tim=
e,=20
either reboot or find the script (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ somewhere, I should=
=20
think) and start it.  Hope this does it for you,

Eric

=2D-=20
Emails appear more personalised with signatures.