Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:01:54 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>, "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@netzuno.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE w/ nat auto fragmentation hack?

> > Matthew Emmerton wrote:
> Julian Elischer wrote:

> > Now, I'm not trying to play devil's advocate (although that would make
me a
> > friend of Chucky, right?) but I'm wondering if user-ppp is the right
place
> > to make this change.  Isn't the problem specific to PPPoE?  If that's
the
> > case, then shouldn't it be ng_pppoe that gets updated, so that anything
that
> > uses ng_pppoe will have the option of enabling the 'tcpmssfixup' option?
>
> I was wondering this yesterday.. either that or a separate mss-hack node..
but
> it needs to look into the tcp packets which means it would have to decode
> the PPP packets and the IP packets as well as the TCP headers, so I think
> that either we do it in the IP stack (with help from tcp) or ppp is the
right
> place, because it already has access to all the information (for it's
packet
> filters).
>
> We COULD make it a function of libNAT as well of course.. :-)

According to Patrick Bihan-Faou, he suggested this a while ago and it was
shot down in favour of the tcpmssd solution, which was later merged into
user-ppp.

If this problem exists with other protocols, or if the solution can be used
with other protocols (in certain situations), then it would make sense to
have it somewhere central so that we can avoid kludging up each
implementation of each protocol that wants to take advantage of it
(user-ppp, ng_ppp, etc).

With this in mind, it really needs to be a part of the IP stack or libalias,
at least.

Perhaps now that the ppp folk have given us a nice reference implementation,
we can work on integrating it more tightly with the system?

--
Matt Emmerton