Date:      Mon, 25 Dec 1995 02:20:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        gclarkii@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium bcopy 486DX-66 results

Gary Clark II writes:

>Here are my results on a 486DX4-100 8 meg in X not sure about cache.
No wonder .. the cache is unlikely to be left undisturbed for a sufficiently
long period. As I understand it, the X-server is likely to be flushing it
almost as quickly as you're trying to acquire lines by virtue of its
numerous and quite diverse localities of reference.

Add this to the fact that the distributed binary server is compiled with
"-m486" (which grabs large cache chunks because of the additional alignment
constraints) and I wouldn't expect much, if any, improvement under these
conditions,

	michael