Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 02:28:23 -0400
From:      Dave <morbiddk@insensible.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   procmail and .forward woes

I've setup SpamAssassin on my Linux system and on my FreeBSD system. Both installs are identical, however I am having a slight problem with the FreeBSD version of this and was hoping someone could help me out. This is more of a procmail / .forward problem than an application problem.

My .forward file looks as such:

"|/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #morbiddk@insensible.net"

Any my .procmailrc looks as follows:

:0fw
| /home/morbiddk/bin/SpamAssassin/spamassassin -P -c /home/morbiddk/bin/SpamAssassin/rules

Now I have no problems on my Linux server which is setup the exact same way, however I have a weird problem with the Freebsd setup. Whenever an email is sent to me on my FreeBSD machine I get 2 messages, one is the actual message sent and the other is a Mail Delivery System failure message. The contents of one of these failed messages is as follows:

Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

pipe to |/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #morbiddk@insensible.net
generated by morbiddk@insensible.net

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ pipe to |/usr/local/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #morbiddk@insensible.net
generated by morbiddk@insensible.net ------

procmail: Couldn't read "/home/morbiddk/||"

Now, the problem appears to reside with the setup of the .forward with the ||, however I am not sure how to change the line in the .forward to allow it to preform its intended function without breaking my Spam tactics.