Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 11:51:13 -0800
From:      Jeff Newton <jeff@datapark.com>
To:        nelson@cs.uwp.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations needed! - IRC Server

Jeremy Nelson wrote:

> >I'm interested in setting up an IRC server but I'd like some server
> >recommendations from all those that have "been there/done that".
> >
> >My only requirement is that the server log every conversation in full
> >(and it run great under FreeBSD 2.1.5 *grin*)
>
> Over the years, the undernet servers have been setting the standard
> for irc development.  I myself run the current undernet server on my
> box at home (for irc development purposes) and it compiles right out of
> the box and sets up easily if youre familiar with ircd configuration.
> If youve never installed ircd before, you should read the documentation
> that comes with it, as its very important that an irc server be configured
> properly to avoid problems.
>
> ftp://ftp.undernet.org/pub/users/ircd-dev/servers/ircu2.9.32.tgz
>
> IRC servers dont "log" conversations, mostly because of the privacy
> concerns.  It would be straightforward to write to a file every PRIVMSG
> that passes over the server, but i would strongly caution you about the
> legal ramifications you would face if you do so.  Also, doing a write()
> for every PRIVMSG would slow down your server considerably, which
> contradicts your other goal of having it run "great"...

Thanks for the replies I have received so far!  Most have raised
concerns over the issue of logging conversations.  The install I'm doing
is for a client that would like to conduct private online meetings.  One
of their requirements is that I provide them with "see what's been said
so far..." functionality.  If an IRC server logged conversations, this
would be simple.

Since the server won't be made available to the public, I don't expect
many users, so intensive logging shouldn't have a major effect on
performance.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?  Should I be looking at something
other than an IRC server?

Cheers,

--
Jeff Newton