Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:58:39 -0500
From:      Edwin Gustafson <Gus@Economics.net>
To:        John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strating the GUI

Greetings,

If you do decide to try kdm, note that it's related to the K Desktop
Environment integrated desktop, http://www.kde.org/.  It's described on the
website as an "xdm replacement" and is currently at version 0.5.

It's part of the kdebase collection of KDE programs, so I would look for it
in the kdebase package/port rather than under its own name.

Unless you're already interested in KDE, I would try xdm first to see if it
does what you need.  That's because KDE requires a lot of other
packages/ports to function.  It's overkill to install them all just to get
kdm, IMHO.

At 6:38 +1100 1999.3.12, Sue Blake wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 12:38:02PM -0600, John Sconiers wrote:
>>
>> Quick question that I don't think is technical enough for -qustions.  Have
>> a desktop.  Is there a way to get an xwindows login prompt simular to
>> solaris' or start windows automatically.  I know I can do a startx at the
>> end of my .profile but I just wondered if there was another way.
>
>There is no such thing as a question that's "not technical enough" for
>freebsd-questions. We can help to sort out your question's wording
>before you post there if you're worried about it, but if any of us
>newbies want to try to answer we should move to freebsd-questions
>first.
>
>For your question you should be able to find the answer in the FreeBSD
>FAQ. I guess you know that people will laugh at you (in any mailing
>list) if you ask a question that's already answered in the FAQ, and I
>guess you didn't recognise the answer when you read the FAQ because you
>didn't know what word to look for. That makes it hard.
>
>What you need is called "XDM". Skim down the FAQ questions and you'll
>see one there about XDM, and it discusses the two ways of using it.
>You can also type 'man xdm' for more information that you dreamed of.
>
>If you have any problems or questions about this, you can write to
>freebsd-questions now that you know what to call it :-)
>
>If you have a serious problem with the way part of the FAQ (or
>Handbook) is written, consider how you would reword it and send your
>suggestion to the Documentation Project list freebsd-doc@freebsd.org.
>The Doc team and future newbies will be grateful for your improvements.
>
>--
>
>Regards,
>        -*Sue*-

-----