Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:38:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jdp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/37089: Port: net/cvsup depends on X11

>Number:         37089
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Port: net/cvsup depends on X11
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD gallium 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #2: Mon Apr 8
21:19:28 BST 2002 dom@gallium:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GALLIUM i386

	The net/cvsup port depends on X11. I am aware that there are
	options to disable X11, and that there is a port called
	cvsup-without-gui.

	Despite these measures, I have seen, as someone who regularly
	helps newbies to FreeBSD, that this has been the #1 source of
	post-install problems. The general path is:

	1. Read the handbook
	2. Installed CVSup
	3. Copied the example supfile and modified it
	4. Attempted to use cvsup my-supfile
	5. Failed because cvsup requires libXaw

	Just this morning:

	<zhamrock> need help on this /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object
	"libXaw.so.6" not found
	<dom> your trying to run cvsup right
	<zhamrock> yup
	<dom> zhamrock: pkg_delete cvsup
	<dom> pkg_add cvsup-without-gui
	<zhamrock> ok

	I would like to ask on their behalf that the ports are moved like
	so:

	net/cvsup => net/cvsup-with-gui
	net/cvsup-without-gui => net/cvsup

>How-To-Repeat:
	Stay in any FreeBSD help IRC channel for an hour or two.

>Fix:
	Swap the CVSup ports around so people have to go out of their way to
	shoot themselves in the foot.

	Alternatively make the net/cvsup port depend on X11 - although this
	will mean a lot of newbies will then end up installing X11 when they
	don't need it.

	Lastly it is possible to add notes to all the documentation with
	mentions CVSup warning about this issue. (I am willing to do this if
	there is a consensus for keeping the ports as they are).

	I think the first option is simplest. Thanks!