Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, khetan@os.org.za
Subject:   Re:  CMAP2 busy ?

> Hi.
>
> I've been experiencing problems with my machine crashing when in X,
> when idle overnight.
>
> Normally it panics with XF86_S3. Today however the machine returned
> something a little different, which I haven't seen before.
> I hope this helps someone.
>
> The machine worlds with no problems, and is perfectly stable
> when in console mode. X has been rebuilt several times.
>
> GNU gdb 4.18
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...
> IdlePTD 3559424
> initial pcb at 29d280
> panicstr: pmap_zero_page: CMAP2 busy
> panic messages:
> ---
> panic: pmap_zero_page: CMAP2 busy

It looked like an interrupt hit when the cpu was in an idle loop replenishing
zero filled pages, and the interrupt handler somehow also tried to zero some
pages itself.  In vm_page_zero_idle(), pmap_zero_page should be called
at splvm() to prevent this from happening, or allocate another pte exclusively
for the idle loop. The latter seems to be preferable.

-lq