Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:21:49 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Holm Tiffe <holm@freibergnet.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No support for slices?

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:31:48AM +0100, Holm Tiffe wrote:
> I've read somwhere in the doc's, that freebsd-alpha does*nt support
> partitioning of the drives, since srm does'nt support it or can't boot
> from partitions.

It does support partitioning (disklabel style), but it doesn't have to
use fdisk style slices.
SRM doesn't care about partition style at all - it takes the bootrecord
and that's it.

> My experience with an USB Memory stick is, that the stick gets detected
> an an /dev/da[something] is created in /dev, but the /dev/da[something]s1
> for the fat filesystem on this stick is'nt created, so I can't mount the fs.
> fdisk does'nt exist on this platform.

GEOM in 5.2 should be able to handle foreign partition shemes.
If there are problems with that you should ask on -current list.

> It seems to me, that dropping support for PC partition tables is the wrong
> way ....

Well - it is not dropping support it was never required for that
platform.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de