Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:20:57 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to link a Linux program under FreeBSD ?

On Tue, 22-Feb-2000 at 19:07:40 +0000, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Andre Albsmeier wrote:
> >
> > > Rule of thumb: From within a Linux shell you always pick up the linux
> > > binaries and not the FreeBSD native ones.
> >
> > Yes, thanks for the hint. I have also been told that I can
> > put /compat/linux/bin and /compat/linux/usr/bin first in my PATH.
> > I tried it and it works as well.
>
> Beware! Having /compat/linux... first in your path can cause breakages
> in your native environment. It basicly causes unwanted mixing of FreeBSD
> and Linux binaries. The same applies to setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to solve
> shared library problems. Keep both environments seperate as much as
> possible and don't depend on inter-environmental environment variables
> :-)

OK, I should have been more precise here: I have a script that calls
the Absoft Fortran compiler. When compiling is done, the script calls
cc -o ... I set PATH only in this script to /compat/linux/bin and
/compat/linux/usr/bin, not in my working environment :-)

> > I assume that this works also for the libs and the crt1 stuff.
>
> No, the linux binaries happen to pick up the linux libraries first most
> of the time. There are situations where a FreeBSD library is found first
> (see below)...
>
> > I think, the only problem arises if, e.g. I specify some
> > lib that doesn't exist under /compat/linux but under FreeBSD.
> > In this case I assume that the FreeBSD lib is being used.
>
> Correct. Sometimes the search order used by ld(1) causes this as well.
> In that case the Linux library can exist while the FreeBSD version is
> used anyway...

I see, thanks for the info. The best would be to have somekind
of intelligent chroot when linux bins are running. The problem
lies in implementing "intelligent" :-)

Thanks again,

	-Andre